- Best swim race ever. Go USA! #
Month: August 2008
A Prayer for Owen Meany
THE DISCIPLES ARE STUPID – THEY NEVER UNDERSTAND WHAT JESUS MEANS, THEY’RE A BUNCH OF BUNGLERS, THEY DON’T BELIEVE IN GOD AS MUCH AS THEY WANT TO BELIEVE, AND THEY EVEN BETRAY JESUS. THE POINT IS, GOD DOESN’T LOVE US BECAUSE WE’RE SMART OR BECAUSE WE’RE GOOD. WE’RE STUPID AND WE’RE BAD AND GOD LOVES US ANYWAY. – Owen Meany
After a few restarts I finally finished John Irving’s, A Prayer for Owen Meany.? It took me an embarrassingly long time to get through the 600+ page novel about fate and faith, but it’s a blindingly original and thought provoking book.? I don’t know why I put the book down so often, but maybe it’s because the ideas took that long to sink in.? John Irving created a world that is both real and fascinating, centering around Johnny Wheelright and his best friend, Owen Meany.? Owen’s known in town for his tiny size, weird voice, and his harsh opinions.? The end is beautiful, sad, and inspiring.
I highly recommend it.
Twitter Updates for 2008-08-10
- Best beer in a can = Dave’s Pale Ale #
Jeanne and I are huge craigslist fans and she loves scavenging through the furniture section looking for deals and fixer uppers.? We have two beautiful pieces in our dining room that she’s found that you would swear cost four times what we actually paid for them.? Of course, being in South Jersey, the furniture scene is unintentionally hilarious.? Some of the posts there are such horrific offenses to style, taste, and common sense that they must be shared with others and that’s where Jeanne’s new blog comes in:? MustSeeLikeNew.com
Here’s a example:
These chairs are an example of why regular people should not design their own furniture.? Gross!? The poor, clueless person describes the fabric as ?rich and vibrant? and ?nostalgic.?? The only way this fabric could be these things is if you?re nostalgic about your own vomit.
Custom made PAIR OF GAME ROOM WING CHAIRS
The blog is hilarious, so make sure you check it out especially if you’re about to post anything to south jersey craigslist furniture.
Twitter Updates for 2008-08-09
- http://twitpic.com/71hd #
- Why did the three musketeers use swords? Shouldn’t they have used muskets? #
Twitter Updates for 2008-08-08
- Remember when Greg Louganis’s head hit the diving board? That must have hurt. #
Twitter Updates for 2008-08-07
- Broke a string. I have been defeated. #
- As soon as artificial intelligence is born, it will start spamming you. #
- @torrefaction I think it will be even more intimate that. It will become your friend first. #
31 Reasons Why Bush is a Bad President
You don’t always agree with everything your President does, but George W Bush made so many poor decisions during his presidency that I consider him the worst President in my lifetime (I was born in 1978, but can only remember back to Reagan).? I didn’t start out with a negative disposition toward him at all.? In fact, I voted for him in 2000.? That’s difficult for me to admit now, but in 2000 I actually thought Gore and Bush were politically similar.? Bush called himself a “compassionate conservative,” which is not so different from my facebook’s political label, “liberal capitalist.”? I thought then, and still do, that his Dad was a decent President who didn’t get re-elected because of a triple whammy of a bad economy, a tough opponent, and a Ross Perot.
A President doesn’t have to be the smartest man alive.? That’s what he has advisers for.? It’s clear that George W Bush’s biggest problem is that he’s not even bright enough to evaluate the advice he’s getting.? This caused him to make many mistakes over the last eight years, which I’ve listed below.? The President doesn’t have an effect on everything, so I tried to be fair and only include things where he has a direct or in-direct influence.? So here are 31 Reasons why Bush is a Bad President (I’ve tried to source everything as best as possible).
- Took more vacation time than any other President
- Invaded Iraq to get rid of WMDs which didn’t exist
- Implemented protectionist steel tariffs
- Outed a CIA agent for political purposes
- Fired prosecutors who refused to abuse their positions for political purposes
- Disregarded FISA laws and wiretappd Americans without warrants
- Never caught Osama Bin Laden
- Failed to plan for Iraq occupation after Saddam’s government fell and the subsequent occupation has killed 150,000 Iraqi civilians.
- Created a vague “enemy combatant” status in order to indefinitely hold foreigners and even US citizens without trying or charging them with a crime.
- Used torture to interrogate prisoners despite evidence that says information acquired through unreliable
- Prematurely said the mission in Iraq had been accomplished.
- Approved budgets that outspent our tax revenue by hundreds of billions of dollars.
- Poor leadership on response to Hurrican Katrina
- Little or no policy changes on our changing climate
- Didn’t veto a single bill for six years and when he finally did it was to shoot down the Stem Cell Research Enhancement Act.
- Passed the Military Commissions Act, which removes the right to Habeus Corpus, one of the most fundamental safe guards against tyrannical governments.
- Pulled out of the Anti-Ballistic Missle Treaty
- Issues illegal “signing statements” when passing bills, saying which portions of the bill he will or won’t enforce.? This essentially allows him to rewrite legislation.
- Pushed for elections in Palestine that lead to a Hamas victory, and then tried to overthrow them.
- Allowed Don Rumsfeld to outsource much of the Iraq war to security contractors which are not subject to Iraqi or American military laws or standards.
- Tried to appoint his personal attorney, Harriet Myers, to the supreme court.
- Dangerous diplomatic philosophy that discourages peaceful negotiations with certain nations.
- Appointed John Bolton, a man who said “there is no such thing as the United Nations“, as the UN Ambassador.
- Consistent intellectual disinterest in his job.
- Failed to act on warning signs of the September, 11th attacks.
- Was dishonest with the American people about his National Guard service.
- Lied about giving up golf in a time of war.
- Dissolving the Iraqi army right after the war, putting thousands of trained soldiers into the insurgency.
- Believing Paul Wolfowitz that the war and subsequent reconstruction would pay for itself with Iraqi oil revenue.
- His policies contributed to a quadrupling of the price of oil.
- Lied to the American people that Saddam Hussein was working with Al-Qaeda
To be fair, I’ll also list all the things I think he’s done right:
- Negotiated a deal with North Korea to end their nuclear program
- Negotiated a deal with Libya to end their WMD program
So far he’s 2-31.
Twitter Updates for 2008-08-06
Hole in the Wall
This is actually coming to the US, too!