We had a smaller crowd this week at the open mic, but no lack of performers.
1. Ben Garvey – I played John Prine’s “That’s the Way the World Goes ‘Round,” “All My Dreams are in Cartoon,” and Nirvana’s “Serve the Servants.”
2. Cynthia Bennett – She said had some trouble this week with strings buzzing, but I couldn’t really tell while she was playing.
3. The Forest Greens – Still Erikless, but their new violin player is now officially in the band and she rocks.
4. Dom – Dom helped me out and played when no one else wanted to. I think I remember him playing “Amazing Grace.” I really should write these recaps the night of the open mic, but usually I’m tired afterwards.
5. Jadis – Phil described his music as Draculaesque and I agree.
6. Jason Vertucio – Borrowed my guitar, but was really only after my battery.
7. Phil – Phil brought his insanely cute some Straz with him to the open mic. Straz takes after his dad, except Phil is just cutely insane.
8. Matt Winn – Busted out the delay for some Christmas music.
9. Roz King – Refused to play after Sarah Allen because she’s so damn good, but played pretty well anyway.
10. Sarah Allen – Had to be forced into playing a very good original song of hers. I’m going to start an online petition for her to write more material.
11. Pat Hipp – I have to make a conscious effort not to spell “Pat” with two t’s. Pat always sounds better than I remembered and I think that’s a good thing.
12. AJ Visgil – This guy has a great voice and he did two covers: One by Belle and Sebastian and the other by Toad the Wet Sprocket.
13. John Shaughnessy – He came right from seeing Return of the King and his ass hadn’t even fallen asleep. The movie has a freaking run time of 201 minutes! John sounded good and did that “feed the world, it’s Christmas time” song he does once and a while.